Griquas demolish Griffons
Dan Lombard
October 27, 2017

The Tafel Lager Griquas ran in nine tries to dismantle the Down Touch Griffons 59-26 (halftime 26-14) in their Currie Cup promotion relegation match at Tafel Lager Park in Kimberley on Friday evening.

The match started off rather dull as both teams tried to assert their dominance over the other on a perfect evening for rugby.

The home team came close to scoring the opening try in the 15th minute as flank Sias Koen brushed the whitewash, but the TMO overturned the on-field decision as the grounding was not controlled.

It did not take long for the Griquas' disappointment to turn into joy as inside centre Tertius Kruger was on hand to score a converted try moments later.

The visitors were dealt a blow when prop Ruan Kramer was yellow carded for cynical play, which allowed the Griquas the space to attack. A deft run by fullback AJ Coertzen, playing in his 50th match for the Griquas, was enough to see wing Ederies Arendse touch down in the corner.

The Griffons may have been a man down but it did not stop them from attacking with intent as fullback Selvyn Davids chased down a kick to score near the posts in the 21st minute.

Arendse, who scored seven tries during the Currie Cup regular season, scored the home team's third try as his phenomenal form continued. Flyhalf George Whitehead's conversion was unsuccessful.

The Griquas were reduced to 14 men when prop Stephan Kotze was yellow carded in the 31st minute and the visitors were rewarded with a penalty try after a strong movement.

It was the men from Kimberley who had the last say in the first half as captain Coertzen celebrated his milestone match with a sublime try as he sliced and diced his way to the tryline. Whitehead slotted the extras to hand the Griquas a 26-14 lead at the break.

It was business as usual when the second half resumed as the Griquas took five minutes to bag another try courtesy of No 8 De Wet Kruger, who showed immense strength to score from a pick-and-go.

The match soon settled into a seesaw affair as both teams launched long range attacks, but their efforts were undone by solid defence.

The deadlock was eventually broken by none other than Arendse, who earned his hat-trick off the back of a great team effort with 20 minutes left on the clock.

The Griffons responded almost immediately as a quick tap by Davids was passed through several hands before the ball found itself back with Davids, who ran in untouched. Davids, a capped Blitzbok, followed up with a third try as the slippery customer broke through the defence to score.

Defence seemed to have escaped the Griffons' minds as the Griquas scored three quick tries with minutes left on the clock.

Flank Wendal Wehr was on hand to receive a cheeky offload while replacement scrumhalf Tiaan Dorfling scored next to the posts.

Replacement flank Shaun McDonald brought the curtain down on a pulsating match as the burly loose forward crashed over for the Griquas ninth - allowing them to walk away with a 59-26 win.


Tafel Lager Griquas - Tries: Tertius Kruger, Ederies Arendse (3), AJ Coertzen, De Wet Kruger, Wendal Wehr, Tiaan Dorfling, Shaun McDonald; Conversions: George Whitehead (7).

Down Touch Griffons - Tries: Selvyn Davids (3), Penalty try; Conversions: Juan Kotze, Tertius Maarman

Castle Lager Outgoing Tour
Saturday, November 03 2018
17:00 - England vs South Africa
Twickenham, London
Saturday, November 10 2018
22:05 - France vs South Africa
Stade de France, Paris
Saturday, November 17 2018
19:20 - Scotland vs South Africa
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Saturday, November 24 2018
19:20 - Wales vs South Africa
Principality Stadium, Cardiff

Copyright - SA Rugby. All Rights Reserved - Photos by Gallo Images